Forest Health and Wildfire Safety - Financial Assistance and Technical Support Program
Gallatin County Extension is partnering with Park and Meagher County Extension to assist landowners improve the health of their forest and to reduce the danger from wildland fires.
This program also addresses best management practices, forest stewardship, and tree insect and disease issues. Our Natural Resource Extension Agent can provide direct assistance.
The program provides:
- Technical assistance for landowners to develop and implement a forest stewardship plan.
- Provide cost share assistance to landowners who implement a plan.
- The grant funds assist landowners with paying for fuels reduction and forest health work (clearing, thinning, trimming vegetation).
- See the main natural resource page for current project areas.
- Know what you got. A great guide to seeing the trees from the forest. My Land Plan
- Southwest Montana Forest Ecology
- Returning Aspen
- Tree ID: Southwest Montana; The USA
- Montana Living With Fire
- Living with Wildfire in Wyoming
- Fuels Reduction Standards
- Western Montana Post Wildfire Assessment - Summary; Full Version
- Ember Aware
- What to do during an evacuation - Red Cross, Tri-County Firesafe
Timber Sale Planning and Agreement
Tax Tips for Forest Landowners
- As a forest owner, understanding tax law is an important part of owning and managing timber, participating in forest stewardship activities, and complying with tax law. The USDA Forest Service-Southern Region compiled a handy document that summarizes changes to forest tax law as of October 2016. Click here to get the 2016 Tax Tips for Forest Landowners (PDF).
- Taxes for Woodland Owners
- Estate Tax Basics
Leadership & Coordination:
Partners & Resources:
- MSU Extension Forestry
- MSU Extension
- MT Dept of Natural Resource and Conservation
- US Forest Service
- Park County
- Gallatin County
- FireSafe Montana
- Fire Adapted Communities
- University of Idaho – A great guide for landowners
- University of Nevada - Be Ember Aware
- How to become a wildland firefighter